2021 a fresh slate! Now is the time to set your intentions for the New Year!
There are many different schools of thought about setting goals, sticking to them and finally achieving that goal. I wanted to share with you a goal setting practice that works for me in hopes that it will help you too!
- Brainstorm-Set a timer for 2 minutes. Write down everything that pops up as a goal or intention for 2021. This is your opportunity to write whatever your heart desires!
- Pick ONE- Circle the one that will have the biggest positive impact on your life or something you’d like to accomplish the most. Sometimes we try to take on many different goals poorly instead of doing one goal well.
- S.M.A.R.T.(E.R)- Break down your number one priority using the SMART method plus ER. I’m sure you’ve heard of SMART goals. Specific, measurable, actionable, relevant and time bound. I think this is a great place to start but I add ER to the end of mine for Excuses and Response. I’ll give you my interpretation of this method and an example below!
- SPECIFIC- What exactly do you want to achieve? Make this very narrow and pointed.
- MEASURABLE- How are you going to measure your progress?
- ACTIONABLE- What actions are you going to take to accomplish this task? What can you add or take away from your current life to make this happen?
- RELEVANT- This is your WHY? Why is accomplishing this task important to you?
- TIME BOUND- Set a realistic end date and time frame for your goal. You can also use this to talk about the time that it will take you daily or weekly to progress this goal.
- EXCUSES- These are all the reason this goal may fail. Maybe you’ve set this goal before and something came up. Write down everything you can think of that might push you off track.
- RESPONSE- This is the solution to your excuses. For every excuse you come up with, write down how you will respond to this distress. For example your excuse may be “pop cravings” and your method for handling this may be “drinking a fizzy water” or “going for a walk.”
- Rewrite your goal-After all of that rewrite your goal as a quick summary of your thoughts.
Now it is time to put that plan into action, use your phone and set reminders or alarms, block off time in your calendar, and grab a buddy or family member to hold you accountable!
Remember to be kind to yourself. Don’t let a slip up completely derail your goal. As with most things consistency is key. You are establishing or breaking habits and that takes persistence and patience! I hope this helps you set an awesome goal for 2021.
P.S. If you are having trouble setting a resolution for 2021 schedule a goal session with me! Email [email protected]
Example: Lose Weight
- SPECIFIC- I want to be healthier by gaining muscle and losing body fat.
- MEASURABLE- I want to lose 1% body fat per month. Each month I will evaluate my progress.
- ACTIONABLE- I will make time for meal prep, increase water intake, sleep 6-8 hours per night and only eat out 2 times per month.
- RELEVANT- This is important to me because I want to live a long, happy, healthy life and be able to keep up with my kids and grandkids.
- TIME BOUND- I want to stay steady and consistent for all of 2021. I will block off 4 hours per week for meal planning and prepping. I will ask my family to help with the prep!
- EXCUSES- Not enough time for meal prep, work travel, vacation in Florida, and food cravings.
- RESPONSE- I will dedicate 4 hours on Sunday morning to meal prep. If I am unable to meal prep I will order food from the Organic Gypsy. When I travel for work I will prep snacks to go and get lunch at a grocery store rather than fast food. I know one week is not going to make or break me and I will do my best to stay hydrated and still eat fruit and veggies! I know I will have cravings for sweets so I will plan to indulge occasionally, drink fizzy water, go for a walk, knit or read a book.
My body fat will percentage will decrease by consistently eating fruits and veggies, blocking time for meal prep and building muscle during 2021!