From: Gurnee, IL
How long have you been with CrossFit Torrent and what made you decide to start?
– I have been with CrossFit Torrent for 1 year. One of my friends (shoutout to Morgan Wiseman) tried to get me to join for a while but I was very intimidated. Then the pandemic hit, decided it was now or never. And I’m so happy I did!
What do you do when you’re not at CFT?
– I’m usually working or doing schoolwork.
When did you realize that CrossFit is right for you?
– It took me a while to feel like it was right for me and then I realized I was being a cottonheaded ninny muggins and it’s been a good fit for me all along.
What were your thoughts after your first WOD?
– Well you didn’t throw up or die…. Score!
What is your favorite or least favorite WOD/movement?
– Favorite: Snatch. Least favorite: burpees and thrusters are tied for least
What is the one thing you have done at CFT that you never thought you would do?
-Be able to lift 100 plus lbs in any movement.
What motivates you during a tough workout?
Carson shared with me the mentality of “no doubt”, leave no doubt in the workout. When it gets tough I think ‘can I walk away feeling proud and like I gave it my all?’
What’s your favorite thing about CrossFit?
– How much functional fitness has changed many aspects of my life.
What are your short term and long term goals?
– Get my first kipping and strict pull-ups ever!
How have you seen yourself change- mentally and physically since joining Torrent?
– Mentally I would say I have gained strength and self-confidence. And physically I have dropped some lb’s and gained muscle that I can actually see!
What impact has CFT had on you in and out of the gym?
– I now have confidence and gained strength physically and mentally. Plus I’ve made some great friends, found a community, and met my brothers Chadd, Corey, and Carson.
Do you have any advice for people just getting started at CFT?
– Don’t be intimidated or nervous, just start! And don’t compare yourself to others, we are all at different levels in our CrossFit journey.
Favorite Cheat Meal: – Pizza with ranch to dip
Favorite TV show/ Movie: – Ted Lasso
Favorite CrossFit Athlete:– My boyfriend Khan Porter
From her elements sessions to now, Rachel has impressed me every day! Her unending drive to be better is so inspiring. We are so dang lucky to have you in the Torrent fam Rachel! Keep killing it. – Morgan
Rachel is super hard working and her commitment is easy to see. She will be here at any hour of the day to make things happen and will always give her best while being humble about doing the right things for herself. – Brandon
“I feel like we fell out of the lucky tree and hit every branch on the way down, ended up with a pool of cash and sour patch kids.” – Ted Lasso. But seriously, Rachel is an amazing athlete. She is coachable, humble, and gives her best. I love seeing her face walk in the door! – Michelle
Rachel is such a hard worker! It’s not unusual to coach her at 6:30pm and see her show up for the 5am class the next day. She’s not afraid to push to try a higher weight or harder modification and has made so much progress! – Bri
Rachel is one of those athletes that comes into the gym to better herself and her energy makes those around her better too. She is always listening, learning and extremely coachable. Rachel has been a goal setting machine and really is a shining example of humble, driven and smart. I’m excited to see her continued success. Thanks for being the rose between 3 thorns in 630. – Callie